So you’ve been invited to a BBQ!!! Yum! So what to bring are you thinking? What can you bring that will represent you, be healthful, cooling, last in the heat, but yet tasty?
A simple healthy idea is a twist on the traditional veggie salad. Ready in 20 minutes or less!
4th of July Veggie Salad
- 1 can garbanzo beans (chick peas), rinsed and drained
- ½ bag of black beans, soaked over-night, rinsed and drained
- 1 can of sweet corn
- ½ finely chopped vidalia onion
- ½ carrot, shredded
- 2 radishes, sliced
- 1 whole cucumber, peeled and sliced long ways then cut in half
- 1 medium sized red pepper sliced into thin julienne slices
- 2 avocados, peeled and diced
- 2 T finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 T freshly squeezed citrus juice (orange, lemon, or lime)
Mix all ingredients together, sprinkle with a little more citrus to keep fresh and serve immediately or you can refrigerate and serve cold at a later time. This serves 6-8 side serving amounts.
Can be enjoyed all by itself, over a bed of lettuce, wrapped in cabbage rolls, or even topped with salsa and sour cream or greek yogurt. My favorite is topped with salsa and sour cream, wrapped in red cabbage leaves. Can also be served over grilled artisan bread drizzled with olive oil. So tasty, I promise!
- The Perfect Picnic – All the grub you need for a great day at the park (theinsider.retailmenot.com)
- Heart Healthy Recipes: Homemade Hummus (goldenrule.com)
- Chick Pea’s (thepainterspalate.wordpress.com)
- Garbanzo Bean Salad (tammycirceo.typepad.com)
- Garbanzo Bean Salad with Fresh Basil and a Lemon Vinaigrette… (onceinlovewithamy.wordpress.com)
- Baked Pasta with Kale & Chick Peas (applebutterharmony.wordpress.com)
- Falafel (veggiezest.com)
- Garbanzo Bean Salad With Tzatziki Dressing (farmboycitygirl.com)
- Saving the World One Bean at a Time (bloggingwithjane.wordpress.com)
- Chickpeas (grantklover.wordpress.com)
- Quinoa Salad with Halloumi Squares (spicerack.wordpress.com)
- Meatless Monday with Grilled Veggie and Goat Cheese Pitas with Mediterranean Crunch Salad (planetforward.ca)
- Mock Tuna Salad Sandwiches, Two Ways (girlfriday.typepad.com)
- Vegan Barbecue: Veggie Marinade (sierraclub.typepad.com)
- fiesta chicken salad (allgoodthingsare.wordpress.com)